What to Eat After Weight Loss Surgery
The Gastric Sleeve procedure is a type of weight loss, or bariatric, surgery designed to reduce the size of your stomach and limit the amount of calories and nutrients that are absorbed by the body. This procedure is a great option for anyone looking for short term weight loss that can lead to long lasting results. In addition, bariatric surgery has an excellent prognosis for improving co-morbidities associated with obesity. This surgery does require significant lifestyle changes in regard to diet and exercise, but using this method is likely to ensure considerable weight loss success. Other types of weight loss surgeries can include gastric bypass and lap band conversion. Below is a guide for what to eat after a weight loss surgery.
Immediately following weight loss surgery, there are four stages before arriving at long-term eating habits. Here are the four stages and what foods to eat after weight loss surgery:
· Clear liquids (1-7 days)
· Intake of 1-2oz per hour
· Recommended clear liquids: water, fat-free milk, fat-free broth, sugar-free gelatin, unsweetened juice, decaffeinated tea or coffee
· Pureed Foods and Liquid Protein (1-2 weeks)
· Several small meals throughout the day, overall intake of 60-70g protein and 64oz clear liquids
· Recommended foods to puree: egg whites, non-fat cottage cheese, cooked cereal, soft fruits, cooked vegetables
· Soft Foods (1-2 weeks)
· 3-6 small meals throughout the day, overall intake of 60-70g protein and 64oz clear liquids
· Recommended soft foods: egg whites, cottage cheese, cooked/dried cereal, rice, fruit without seeds or skin, cooked vegetables without skin
Stage Four - Solid Foods
Stage Four can be the most difficult to follow because it should be maintained as a permanent lifestyle change. After gastric bypass, the diet should be high in proteins and vegetables and low in carbohydrates and refined sugars. Apart from the actual food that should be consumed, there are many guidelines that need to be followed for proper absorption and to avoid negative side effects. These tips include:
· Eat and drink slowly to avoid dumping syndrome
· Drink 64 oz of liquid per day
· Do not drink water with meals. Avoid drinking water 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after meals.
· Eat several small meals a day
· Eat protein first, vegetables second, and carbohydrates third
· Take a daily multivitamin
· Avoid foods high in fats and sugar (especially refined sugars)
Here are appropriate food choices from each food group:
Proteins- chicken, fish, tofu, low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt, egg whites, low-fat cheese, beans, nuts, quinoa
(Avoid: beef, pork, shellfish)
Vegetables- green beans, cauliflower, kale, asparagus, tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach
(Avoid: corn, uncooked vegetables, and minimize starchy vegetables)
Carbohydrates- rice, bread, pasta, carbohydrates are also a natural part of a variety of foods
Avoid: excessive carbohydrate intake)
Bariatric Surgery Approved Recipes
These recipes will help guide you with what to eat after weight loss surgery:
Weight Loss Surgery in Glendale, CA
Weight loss surgery is one of the safest, most effective options for extreme weight loss available. After a year or two, most patients lose up to 70% of excess weight. After surgery it is important to follow a balanced diet and exercise plan to improve weight loss results and prevent complications. Bariatric Surgery can lead to a longer, healthier life for anyone suffering from the condition of obesity.
If you are interested in the gastric sleeve surgery, or other types of weight loss surgery call Brand Surgical today at (818) 243-9999.